[governance] Merger of workshop "Reflection on the Indian proposal towards an IGF 2.0"

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu May 12 01:29:25 EDT 2011

The ICC/BASIS and ISOC were invited to participate in our workshop,
"Reflection on the Indian proposal towards an IGF 2.0".  Instead, they
responded by proposing competing workshops of their own and suggesting
that the three be merged.

The ICC/BASIS one is "a roundtable workshop format that includes the
full range of stakeholders to discuss a broad range of ideas and provide
an opportunity to exchange perspectives on proposed improvements".
Marilia and I both strongly felt that merging with such a workshop would
result in a loss of focus and weaker (or more likely no) outcomes.

The ISOC workshop actually does sound more interesting (to me), but it
is very much more process-oriented rather than addressing specific
proposals for improvement.  I think that the ISOC one, like ours, would
be better stand-alone.

Marilia and I, as co-organisers of the workshop for the IGC, were
invited to discuss the proposed merger with the others yesterday in a
teleconference.  We expressed our views strongly, and I hope
effectively.  But we came away promising to consult with this group
about whether a merger could be considered under the following conditions:

1. Workshop would be expanded to double-length.
2. IGC (naturally, I guess) will have an equal say in all organisational
decisions.

The three workshop proposals are:

http://mini.me.my/10 (IGC workshop)
http://mini.me.my/11 (ISOC workshop)
http://mini.me.my/12 (ICC/BASIS workshop)

So please let us know your thoughts before the end of the week, in order
that Marilia (who will be in Geneva) can present them to the others
ahead of the pseudo-MAG meeting.

Thanks.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

*Empowering Tomorrow's Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong*

Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer
groups from around the world for four days of debate and discussion on
the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
_http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.