[governance] Re: FW: [OIA] MS & Skype?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:26:57 EDT 2011

In this context I think that it is useful to try to stretch our CS thinking
back before the neo-liberal onslaught wrecked havoc with the role of the
state in attempting to ensure equity/universailty in areas such as
telecommunications and transport.  In Canada at least, a very great
component of the political and regulatory history of the late 19th and 20th
centuries had to do with developing the means to manage and control
predation in the areas of technology advance in the late 19th
century--electricity, transport, telecommunication--to ensure some degree of
rate (and service) balancing (and non-discrimination) as between regions and
individual consumers(as well in certain instances extended to universality
of access).  In Canada this produced nationalized railways, a national
airline, a national broadcaster, nationalized electricity suppliers,
nationalized telecommunications carriers in certain provinces and very
highly regulated telecoms at the national level.

I believe there were similar developments in many other national
jurisdictions.

The technology developments and globalization of service provision in a
number of areas of the late 20th century obviated the need for certain of
these state sponsored service provision leading to deregulation and
privatization, although almost certainly not as much as neo-liberal
ideologists have managed to convince/coerce governments and electorates.

However, the same techology advances in certain areas--global
communications, virtual public space, the global knowledge sphere--have
resulted in a shifting of the need for regulation/management in the public
interest to the global and away from the national (just as the developments
of the late 19th and early 20th shifted them from the local to the
national).

That we don't have institutional or regulatory mechanisms in place (yet) to
manage these is not, I think, because of their nature but rather because of
political immaturity in managing at the global level and from the fierce
resistance (including or even especially at the ideological level) from
those who are benefiting from their current monopoly positions (quite
parallel I would think to the railway etc. robber barons of the 19th
century).

Mike