[governance] Internet G8 meeting

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed May 11 03:50:46 EDT 2011

On 11/05/11 15:29, William Drake wrote:
> Sorry to be late to the party on this, but before the consensus call starts can we just clarify a key piece?

Sorry, I jumped the gun.

> That model at present comprises peer-level annual dialogues that unlike G8 meetings do not entail the negotiation of recommendations/declarations etc.  Is that what we're arguing the G8 should do?  Or is the argument that there should be open peer-level participation in the negotiation of "results."?  If that's the goals then it would seem more consistent to mention participation in ICANN as the model, although probably that'd cause indigestion in some circles.  Either way, this seems like the big pay-off sentence of the message, so one could argue it should be clearer on what we'er asking for, no?

The proposed eG8 will not be a negotiating forum, any more than the IGF.
In that respect, it is nothing like the G8 meetings proper.  So I don't
see that there is an inconsistency here.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

*Empowering Tomorrow's Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong*

Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer
groups from around the world for four days of debate and discussion on
the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
_http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.