AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 9 01:02:27 EDT 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 10:25 AM, McTim wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>

>     On Monday 09 May 2011 10:07 AM, McTim wrote:
>>     On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Jeremy Malcolm<jeremy at ciroap.org>  <mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org>  wrote:
>>>          concerns.
>>>
>>>          It is also pertinent to state here that since the Internet is
>>>     essentially a
>>>          global phenomenon, policies framed together by the most powerful
>>>     nations,
>>>          quite likely, will become the default global norm. This is most true for
>>>          architectural and economic issues, while the global impact on other
>>>     areas
>>>          will also be substantial. It is therefore appropriate that G 8 countries
>>>          engage with the same, and other issues, of Internet policies at the more
>>>          democratic global forums where all countries
>>     dlete "countries" above
>>
>>     and insert "stakeholders"
>>
>>     and I will be happy with the draft as edited by Avri.
>
>     Equal participation of all countries and multi-stakeholder
>     participation are both important issues, and one cannot replace
>     the other. I made it clear before the start of the drafting
>     exercise that I am not ready to go with a statement that just
>     calls for multistakeholder participation, and is silent on equal
>     participation of all countries. Therefore i cant agree with the
>     edit of the text suggested by McTim.
>

> I thought that "stakeholders" included governments under its umbrella.
>  How about "all stakeholders" insteead?

We are not issuing generic statements, but objecting to clear 'wrongs'
done. One if the private sector heaviness, and thus we describe the
problem and tell them what should be done. Second, and this requires
your close attention, is the problem that 8 most powerful countries
cannot between them cannot try to decide on what largely concerns the
whole world, and thus we say, all countries have to be there. parminder

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Parminder Jeet Singh
Executive Director
IT for Change
NGO in Special Consultative Status with the United Nations ECOSOC
www.ITforChange.net <http://www.ITforChange.net/>
Tel:+91-80-2665 4134, 2653 6890. Fax:+91-80-4146 1055