AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 9 00:51:36 EDT 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 10:07 AM, McTim wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Jeremy Malcolm<jeremy at ciroap.org>  wrote:
>>      concerns.
>>
>>      It is also pertinent to state here that since the Internet is
>> essentially a
>>      global phenomenon, policies framed together by the most powerful
>> nations,
>>      quite likely, will become the default global norm. This is most true for
>>      architectural and economic issues, while the global impact on other
>> areas
>>      will also be substantial. It is therefore appropriate that G 8 countries
>>      engage with the same, and other issues, of Internet policies at the more
>>      democratic global forums where all countries
> dlete "countries" above
>
> and insert "stakeholders"
>
> and I will be happy with the draft as edited by Avri.

Equal participation of all countries and multi-stakeholder participation
are both important issues, and one cannot replace the other. I made it
clear before the start of the drafting exercise that I am not ready to
go with a statement that just calls for multistakeholder participation,
and is silent on equal participation of all countries. Therefore i cant
agree with the edit of the text suggested by McTim.

Parminder

--

Parminder Jeet Singh
Executive Director