[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:57:43 EDT 2011

Hi Parminder,

You made, as usual, a very detailed, thoughtful and passionate statement. I
believe you raised very valid questions - at least in the eyes of a
non-participant in the WG exercise.

However, like Jeanette, I am always cautious when I spot the emergence of
too rigid either/or alternatives, that risk tending towards: "which side are
you on" ? and rapidly : "there is a right side and a wrong side, and
unfortunately my interlocutors happen to be on the wrong side" :-) We've
seen where this can lead in history. So let's pause for a second when doing
the post-mortem of the WG.

There is indeed an important issue regarding the concept of working groups
(multi-stakeholder) and the role of secretariats. But they are not
necessarily antagonistic: good secretariat is needed for efficient working
groups and secretariat without community input rapidly means capture. So the
debate can be a little bit more nuanced.

Marilia made a very balanced and useful analysis, highlighting weakness in
the chairmanship of the group (obvious and expected from the onset, I must
say) and distributing responsibilities quite evenly. In particular she
rightly pointed the absence of real direct and trustful interaction among
the participants and the resurgence of typical drafting practices (square
brackets). The fact that some participants may have come from the missions
in Geneva (instead of having been participants in the IGF) certainly made a
- not surprising - difference: same cause same effects as the PrepCom 1 of
the first phase of the WSIS, the CSTD meetings, and the recent ECOSOC
discussions.

In any case, the lines are moving among groups and homogeneity is not the
norm any more. That is one thing I take from Parminder's comments. We must
therefore all avoid keeping old frameworks of reference to interpret
proposals by one actor or the other according to the preconceived idea of
what they "naturally are going to propose", irrespective of what is actually
in their text. It would be interesting in that respect to use anonymous
contributions: some proposals by India would certainly have looked different
in the eyes of many participants if nobody had known where they came from.
Who would dare to try the exercise ?

The task ahead of us is not to reinforce oppositions or to hatch unbalanced
compromises, but to identify non-zero-sum solutions: I cannot believe there
is no way to move forward. The question now is: what is the right format to
produce constructive interaction ?

Best

Bertrand

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Hi Parminder,
>

>  Let me try to focus further on what was the real point of difference
>> across the table. IGF already produces long and short summary of plenary
>> proceedings. So the essential difference between India's proposal and
>> the present practice (or the 'messages' proposal) is about who does the
>> 'summing up' and how. Back to the question that arose regarding drafting
>> the report of the WG on IGF improvements - are we more comfortable with
>> secretariats doing such stuff, or do we, we the evangelists of
>> multistakeholderism in policy shaping/ making, support multi stakeholder
>> working groups doing it. That is the core point we must decide. And
>> depending on which way we decide it we can then know which side of the
>> main contestation at the WG we are on.
>>

> Actually, I don't want to decide this question. I would prefer to look at
> these issues as a process rather than a binary decision. We have faced the
> issue of formal outcome versus no outcome at all over several years. Both
> options have support from strong groups. The way out of such constellations
> is evolution not an either/or constellation. What I would have liked to see
> is an experimental approach where each annual IGF meeting will try out new
> versions of reporting taking on board the experiences from regional and
> national IGFs.
> In my view, it would have been sufficient if the CSTD WG would have
> endorsed such an open process.
>
> jeanette
>

> And then perhaps, if we really
>
>> must, we can choose our villains. And if we indeed are inclined to
>> suspect a 'planned failure' to use Wolfgang's term, then see whose
>> planning it could be. Though I suspect that with some more real hard
>> work we could have got some good results from the WG.
>>
>> It is for me a cardinal moment for IG, for civil society advocate on IG
>> and for multistakeholderism. We must decide and make up our mind. Can a
>> multistakeholder group cull out enough focused and well directed stuff
>> on policy inputs - areas of convergence, and divergences, but with
>> relatively clear alternative policy options as done by WGIG - from an
>> IGF process that is to be specifically designed to help it do so. This
>> process starts from choosing clear and specific policy questions for
>> IGF's consideration, forming WGs around each chosen issue, developing
>> background material around each, WG then helps plan the process at the
>> IGF through right format, speakers etc, help prepare appropriate feeder
>> workshops, then arrange round tables on the chosen issue at the IGF
>> before it goes to the plenary, and then the denouement, the multi
>> stakeholder group brings out a document which could be 2 pages or 10 on
>> key areas of convergence, divergence etc, with 'relatively' clear policy
>> paths and options. Things may be difficult initially, but it is my
>> understanding, and I would like to hear other views, that this is the
> [...]

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")