[governance] No concluding ending for CSTD WG to IGF improvement

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:10:40 EDT 2011

Anriette,

you wrote :

T*here was a lot of common ground. E.g. on the last day business
presented a proposal for MAG composition and selection which was not
that different from the one that India proposed on the previous day.*
*presented a proposal for MAG composition and selection which was not*
*that different from the one that India proposed on the previous day.*

Can you elaborate a bit on the different elements ?

Best

Bertrand

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>wrote:

> [...]
> really not comfortable with it, but who were fairly silent during the
> meeting, to quite a few who believe in it but who want it to be more
> structured, e.g. only private sector associations as opposed to
> individual companies and more 'representative' CS participation, to
> those who are happy with it as it is now.. and lots of variety in-between)
>
> - greater focus on developing country issues/concerns
> (One divider here is that some countries want a platform to talk about
> financing, which of course others want to avoid. The developed countries
> did not really make much effort in this direction. Non-governmental
> entities did.. developing countries, with the exception of South Africa,
> mentioned this, but approached it in terms of UN resolutions rather than
> practical suggestions.)
>
> - policy focus of the IGF
> (this appeared to be a foreground issue... e.g. some of us proposed that
> the IGF should focus on key policy questions every year, at least as one
> of its agenda setting mechanisms. Others disagreed.. but I think the
> reason they did was not because the thought it was a bad idea for the
> event, but that it could in some way lead to more international
> policy-making, if not at the IGF, somewhere else at global level.)
>

> In other words, other than for the non-governmental stakeholders this
> process was not really about IGF improvements, but about the IGF being a
> stage for other plays.
>
> It would have taken a very strong and committed chair, and much more
> time, to make the common ground that was in the room produce results.
>
> There was a lot of common ground. E.g. on the last day business
> presented a proposal for MAG composition and selection which was not
> that different from the one that India proposed on the previous day.
>
> But the key would have been for the chair to contain the background
> political issues.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 26/03/11 15:26, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> > At least to me CSTD is looking...not so competent at the moment.
> >
> > So Wolfgang's worry about the multistakeholder process being discredited
> by this bumbling interregnum I'm not sure is main thing.
> >
> > So main thing is probably ensuring next IGF is substantive and well-run,
> even in absence of Nitin and Markus; IGC's part is submitting - solid
> workshop proposals, which we haven't been talking about much while trying to
> get the cstd thing to amount to something.
> >
> > Anyway, real choice to me (from cheap seats far from Geneva)  is: 1)
> continue to push back on CSTD/submit alternate report; 2) move on, let CSTD
> chair's report close this sorry chapter - we can say we told them it was not
> set up properly, but so what - and spend our time pulling together good
> workshop proposals for Nairobi.
> >
> > Right now I am thinking 2) is more important for IGF in long run than 1).
> >
> > But I look forward to hearing from others that were there what they think

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")