[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Thu Mar 24 12:44:36 EDT 2011

Thanks Jeanette for prompt reply.
I was trying to "count" number by sector, but as you wrote, several
non-governmental members were dual or plural hats and it may
not be appropriate to label this or that. BUT, there are criteria
used behind the "black box" to roughly balance different stakeholders
interests to give similar, if not equal, amount of frustration to all.
To me out of 54 or so MAG members, 22 seem to be from Gov,
15 from Business, 13 from Tech/academic, and 7 from Civil Society,
but these are not the exact number as it totals to 57, not 54 :-)

As for legitimacy, I guess it is the UN Secretary General who
appoints these members, period. No one dare to ask how UN SG
selects.

izumi

2011/3/25 Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>:
> " some members don't belong to a specific group of stakeholders"
>
> What is the source of their legitimacy? Who they represent?
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
>>

>> Am 24.03.2011 17:26, schrieb Marilia Maciel:
>>>
>>> Could someone tell us how many members are there in the MAG per
>>> stakeholder group
>>

>> It doesn't work like that. Roughly 50% of the members wear a government
>> hat. Some of the remaining members wear several hats. And some members don't
>> belong to a specific group of stakeholders.
>>
>> The member list is here:
>>
>> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/magabout/406-mag-2010
>>
>> jeanette
>>

>>  and the division between developing and developed
>>>
>>> countries?
>>>
>>> That would be much appreciated
>>>
>>> Marilia
>>> --