[governance] [lack of] Net Neutrality for Mobile Internet in different shapes and forms?

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:46:58 EDT 2011

(Thinking out loud)

For ISPs who have a diverse range of products, ie, different
bandwidths and resiliency and resulting product offerings where the
residential customer pays for x service and corporate customer who can
maybe afford fibre to the building pays y.

ISPs may argue that where a corporate customer pays for premium he gets premium.

My understanding of Network Neutrality was in the manner (rationale,
policy, commercial decisions) in which ISPs or operators translate it
into prioritisation of "packets".

Speed is a different issue, but wilful routing of packets based on
capacity to pay, is another issue. But where, an ISP is limited by the
Grade of Quality of means of transmission  that it cannot be
accountable for, that is quite a different issue.

One of the challenges in developing countries where their ADSL has all
grades of copper quality (diminishing quality) where you have links
between old and new copper means that there is bound to be problems
with resiliency.

Depending on the governance strucutures in place within jurisdictions,
if some of those countries who are already struggling with constrained
resources refuse to give these operators "access deficit", it has a
direct impact on investments etc.

There are all kinds of inter-linkages and IG issues at play here.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org