AW: R: [governance] 8.9 earthquake in Japan

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 00:48:06 EDT 2011

Dear Izumi, How are you?

Thank you for asking suggestions. Also agree with the ideas of Norbert and
Lorena for the utilization of ICT for the disaster affected communities.

I would also propose the utilization of UShahidi application
(http://ushahidi.com/) to establishment the portal for this purpose and to
collection the critical information where the immediate attention is required.
In this application, the basic input is through mobile phone text or MMS
messages as well as the GPS position. The same application was used for the
survival activities in Haiti Earthquake.
http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/01/how-mapping-sms-platforms-saved-lives-in-haiti-earthquake011.html

The rescue teams (either from the authorities or social and civil groups of
volunteers), may have access to the portal where the messages are being reported
along with the criticality indications to approach and to provide the remedy or
support.

Function:
On receiving of SMS, the mechanism plot a circle or dot on the map according to
the GPS Position and store the information into database according to the
categories defined. People can submit their views and comments as a thread
discussion.

Utilization:
People of the country may trigger alert, critical information, incident reports,
mentioning that where and what is needed.
For example, if there is a crack in the road, someone can take the picture of it
and send to a pre-announced mobile number along with the GPS Position, location
and are zip code etc to the portal. It will display on the webpage. The Road
Construction services may be triggered to focus the critical needs of repair
etc.

Similarly it can be used to report shortfall of the drinking water, milk, food,
first-aid requirement, rescue services, to report to demolish a badly shocked
building of construction which may be dangerous.

It is also a good idea about taking the pictures of the victims, missing
persons, children and old age people (and uploading on the same portal).

Note: This access to some categories of information may be restricted among the
rescue teams only or to limit the access within the country, if there are some
reservation arises.

 Thanks & Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah