R: [governance] 8.9 earthquake in Japan

nhklein nhklein at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 22:33:22 EDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 09:05 AM, Izumi AIZU wrote:
> Thanks all who are supporting us.
>
> There have been some media coverage how people outside
> Japan are concerned, supporting, and encouraging us.
>
> There are healthy criticisms also inside and outside Japan about
> the way the government, ruling party, power company and others
> in charge are handling the situation. I think most of them are valid.
>
> My gut feel however, at least inside Japan, is that we better do something
> we can do before making noise about others. I have a lot to say about
> "them", yes, but that is of second priority for me.
>
> There are people, especially those who are hit directly by the earthquake,
> Tsunami, and also nuclear station failure, who are seriously affected.
> There are people like us, had minor trouble, being exposed to unknown
> social instability, power shortage, food and gas supply problems, etc.
> There are a lot of people now working to provide relief and reconstruction
> works. And also people trying to contribute to help and relief works.
>
> I am trying to figure out how best I can do. So far, I am trying to organize
> a small group of people, to make some informal coordination around
> ICT related areas. I am also starting to think, given much support from
> friends here and elsewhere from outside Japan, to share the relevant
> information to the international community, so that we all can sync,
> informal, but effective ways.
>
> Any advice and suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> izumi

Dear Izumi,

we are all so much surprised by the power of nature - but I want to add:
surprised also by the calm and orderly responses of people (as far as we
can know through personal reports and the media) in spite of the total
disruption of infrastructure in the affected areas.

As for your question on suggestions - after the end of Second World War
and being a refugee in Germany, expelled from Yugoslavia - for several
years our family (mother and children) were separated from my father,
until a Red Cross database (on paper - no ICT yet) was able to establish
contact again.

I am sure there are tremendous immediate needs to be met first - but it
will be an evenly tremendous task to locate people (alive, and perished
in the earthquake and tsunami). Maybe that is not only a task "for the
authorities" but also something where Internet activists can create
networked networks? Was it not also done after the Kobe earthquake?

Norbert

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror: regular reports and comments from Cambodia.

The last Sunday Mirror:
Technical Policy Ministry Staff Challenges Higher Authorities
Sunday, 6.3.2011

You can read it at this address:
http://tinyurl.com/4otgrtj

There is something new from time to time - at least every weekend.

http://www.cambodiamirror.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org