R: [governance] 8.9 earthquake in Japan

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Mar 15 00:48:34 EDT 2011

Divina,

Thanks for the care.
As for your question, I assume it's about nuclear power station
possible meltdown. To tell you the truth, the straight answer is
I don't know. Maybe they are covering some facts, maybe not.
In general, there have been severe criticisms in the past
against power company whose nuclear reactor had serious
trouble, yet they tried to hide the truth. So, I don't think they
are trying to hide the truth intentionally. What I see is that
they are very careful in sending the information out, or
reporting even to the Prime ministers office. And yes
that is frustrating and also source of problem per se.

Now the cabinet office is setting up a joint crisis management
center with TEPCO, the power company, to share the operation.
Whether the experts team and politicians team with bureaucrats
work better or worse remains to be seen.

izumi

     governance at lists.cpsr.org