[governance] Comments on draft submission to the CSTD Working Group on Improvements to the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Mar 10 23:44:10 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 12:20 +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Here is a summary of the comments that have been made on our draft
> statement at http://www.igcaucus.org/digress.it/, and the suggested
> changes I'll be making to the statement in response.

Oh, I forgot an important one.  An anonymous contributor had this to
say:

        While the UN should be a funding source and facilitator in
        aspects in which its neutrality is implicit in the nature of the
        functions offered, the MAG should be set up to be as independent
        as possible from the secretariat and the UN and it should be in
        majority control of deciding which UN folks are in the Nitin and
        Marcus roles and WHEN and where IGF takes place, etc. Any
        “special advisers” to the secretariat should be appointed by the
        MAG, not selected by the secretariat.

I for one agree with this, although it's stronger language than we used
before.  Does anyone object to it?  If not, I'll just add this to cover
these points (the first part is verbatim from the comment above):

        While the UN should be a funding source and facilitator in
        aspects in which its neutrality is implicit in the nature of the
        functions offered, the MAG should be set up to be as independent
        as possible from the secretariat and the UN.

        As a multi-stakeholder body, important organisational decisions
        for the IGF should by default be the responsibility of the MAG
        rather than the Secretariat - this should include the
        responsibility to approve UN appointees to the Secretariat, the
        appointment of any “special advisers”, and (in consultation with
        the host country) the dates of IGF meetings.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Consumers for Fair Financial Services
World Consumer Rights Day, 15 March 2011

Join the global consumer movement in demanding access to safe, fair and
competitive markets in financial services for all.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/wcrd2011

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
necessary.