[governance] Re: [IRP] Declaration of the Assembly on the Right to Communication, Dakar- Feb 11, 2011

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Thu Mar 3 17:29:57 EST 2011

Bonjour Anriette and Parminder
hi members of the list

I thank Anriette for her info and endorse the Declaration of Dakar on behalf of CSDPTT. My thanks also to Parminder who suggests a way for counter the dominant discourse in the IG process. But, as I mentioned during both WSIS Forum preparation meetings held in Geneva, the neoliberal discourse which monopolizes the WSIS discussion space needs also to be balanced (if not countered) by alternative voices. In my opinion these voices are present i.a. in the World Social Forum, and -as far as developing countries are concerned- especially in its African edition in Dakar.

I would just recall the discourse we, the CS at WSIS, heard during the Geneva Summit, which told us that only the CS "inside" (Geneva's Palexpo premises) is worthy of the name and to be listened to, since the CS "outside" is diqualifying itself by demonstrating "loudly" in the city of Geneva. And there were only a handful of CS representatives -I's among them- who protested to Adama Samassekou, the author of this discrininating sentence.

In fact, i'm fed up with this unilateral, dominant neoliberal discourse we are submitted to since the very beginning of WSIS, and with those shows such as Negroponte's, Wade's and even the represntatives of UN agencies ones, the most zealous of them being the ITU. That's why I do hope that during the coming WSIS Forum there will be another breeze blowing in the sails of WSIS. Isn't the ITU seriously questioning why the media don't mention its global and world-unique event ? I'd like to suggest them to invite Aminata Traoré and change its techno-liberal anthem for a more committed one. There are a lot of people in Africa and elsewhere, singing (fairly well) that another world is possible !

Best regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT