[governance] Montreux

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:06:07 EST 2011

Indeed, we have a very advanced and democratic model of governance, embodied
in the Internet Governance Steering Committee (CGI), and very positive
guiding principles. But principles need interpretation and need the action
of other bodies (Congress, Judiciary) in order to be translated into reality
and make a difference in people’s lives. And a lot of work remains to be
done on that regard. Lack of clear law provisions and very little knowledge
of judges about internet issues lead to contradictory and draconian
decisions, which sometimes threaten freedom of expression and innovation.

Some important steps have been taken though. Last year there was an open
collaborative discussion online to create a civil rights framework for the
internet in Brazil. When enacted, we hope this law will bring much more
clarity to rights and responsibilities online. Topics such as network
neutrality, clear rules for ISPs liability, freedom of expression,
prohibition to interrupt access to the internet (such as in the 3 strikes
models) were some of the important innovations of the civil rights
framework.

The bill should be sent to Congress for discussion before May. We´ll keep
you informed.

Best,

Marília

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Back in sane Johannesburg :)

> > public policy principles of IG and progressively over time, capturing
> > where there is agreement, and differences on these principles .  This
> > can be captured in the IGF's outcome 'documents'.
> >
> > The Brazilian's are drawing on their national experience of thrashing
> > out key principles among all stakeholders. It has worked really well for
> > them, and I do think the IGF should try something similar.
>
> yes, but while it is much lauded, we still see some ugliness:
>

> http://observingbrazil.com/2011/02/21/the-right-to-information-in-brazil-censorship-fines-for-sharing-wi-fi/
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim