[governance] Re: Can Icann really be necessary?

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 26 10:58:19 EDT 2011

The discussion has so far not highlighted other aspects of the Dan
Gillmor piece in the Guardian - notably,

> [W]ho wins by inviting every enterprise with a trademark or valuable
> name to register with multiple domain suffixes? The registrars win,
> of course, and so does the organisation that decides who can be a
> registrar; that would be Icann, which, in effect, taxes the
> registrars based on how many people they sign up for domains.
> Icann itself is unneeded, or should be made to be so. Clearly, it
> would be unworkable to simply pull the plug on Icann, because it has
> become a key link in the digital chain. But the internet community
> should be working on a bypass ...

The full text is below, as posted originally.  The link to the full
post:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jun/23/icann-internet-domain-names

David
______
Are you ready for .xxx, .coke and .insertyournamehere? You'd better
get ready, because an organisation with significant authority and
scant accountability says you must.

That organisation is Icann: the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers. It supervises the naming system for internet
domains. With a budget north of $60m, Icann's board members and staff
– who strike me as well-meaning, if too often unwise, in their actions
– have embedded their work into the DNA of modern cyberspace. One
would expect no less from an enterprise that can essentially tax the
internet and is simultaneously accountable to everyone and no one.

Like Icann's operations, its rules are complex. The organisation's key
role, boiled down to the basics, is to oversee the domain name system
(DNS) – a role that gives Icann the authority to decide what new
domain-name suffixes may exist, and who can sell and administer them.
The best known "top level" domain suffixes, at least in the US,
are .com, .org and .edu; they are among 22 generic suffixes, along
with about 250 country-level domains such as .uk, (United
Kingdom), .de (Germany) .and cn (China).

Two recent Icann initiatives highlight its reach. The first was the
approval earlier this year of the .xxx domain, intended to be a red-
light zone for cyberspace. The other, announced just this week, is a
plan to let people and enterprises create domain names of any kind –
for example, .Apple or .CocaCola or .treehugger – reflecting their
trademarks or specific interests.

Contrary to Icann's rationalisations (pdf), .xxx is a terrible idea.
Should it succeed, it will enrich its promoters. But it will also
likely lead, should the domain actually be adopted widely, to
widespread censorship and manipulation. Governments are keen to
restrict access to what they consider to be pornography or block it
altogether; look for laws requiring adult sites to use the .xxx
domain, so they can be more easily fenced in – or out. India has
already announced it will block .xxx entirely.

I hope this wretched move fails for practical reasons. Adult content
providers possessing common sense will hesitate to move their
operations into a censor-friendly zone of this kind. Indeed, the Free
Speech Coalition, an adult entertainment trade group, is urging its
members to boycott .xxx and stick with the tried and true .com suffix
that most of them already use.

The success of .com helps explain why the latest Icann move, expanding
the domain system in potentially infinite ways, is at best
problematic. It's not entirely misguided, however. In principle, the
idea is inoffensive; why not have internet addresses that fully match
reality and might (repeat: might) be more secure under certain
circumstances? And why would a company with a valuable trademark not
want to reserve a domain suffix reflecting its trademark?

Because, as noted, the current system isn't all that broken. Trademark
disputes already get resolved in the .com world with laws and rules of
various kinds. So, who wins by inviting every enterprise with a
trademark or valuable name to register with multiple domain suffixes?
The registrars win, of course, and so does the organisation that
decides who can be a registrar; that would be Icann, which, in effect,
taxes the registrars based on how many people they sign up for domains.

Speaking of fees, if you want one of the new domain suffixes and are
not a wealthy individual or company, get ready to put a major dent in
your bank balance. The Icann application alone will be $185,000, with
an annual fee of $25,000. Who sets this fee? Why, Icann, of course. Is
it reasonable? Icann says it is. Why is it reasonable? Because Icann
says, based on evidence that is less than persuasive, that it needs
the money for things like legal costs. So much for small business
registrations, much less domains for individuals with relatively
common last names – how about .JohnSmithWhoWasBornInDallasOnMay51983?
– which want to be as unique in their domain name as they are in the
real world.

Esther Dyson, former board chair at Icann (and a friend), told NPR she
considered the new domains "a useless market". She is right, but I'd
go further: Icann itself is unneeded, or should be made to be so.
Clearly, it would be unworkable to simply pull the plug on Icann,
because it has become a key link in the digital chain. But the
internet community should be working on a bypass, not controlled in
any way by governments, that is both secure and robust.

A partial bypass already exists for end users. It's called Google –
though this also applies to Bing and other search engines. Internet
users are learning that it's easier, almost always with better
results, to type the name of the enterprise they're searching for into
the browser's search bar than to guess at a domain name and type that
guess into the address bar. Google isn't the DNS, but its method
suggests new approaches. To that end, some technologists have
suggested creating a DNS overlay, operated in a peer-to-peer way that
incorporates modern search techniques and other tools. Making this
workable and secure would be far from trivial, but it's worth the
effort.

A few years ago, I was a candidate for a post on the Icann board.
During an interview, I was asked to describe what I hoped to achieve,
should I be asked to serve. A major goal, I replied, was to find ways
to make Icann less necessary. My service was not required.