[governance] MSism and democracy

Devon Blake devonrb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:05:05 EDT 2011

I don't know that there is any single solution to this problem. On the one
hand we have the persons sending the message and encoding it so that there
message can be understood at the receiving end. At the other end is the
receiver who decodes the message and gets an understanding based on,
knowledge of the language used, inherent traits that colour and bring bias
to perceptions, economic and social background, the subject being addressed
and other such variables. The medium is the internet which has facilities to
translate the message from one language to another, howbeit imperfectly.
What we have is a compromise that is based on interaction between the
messenger and the recipient. It is in this interaction that will ensure an
understanding of sorts, not perfect but enough to facilitate progress.

There is the other group however who cannot even take part in this dialogue
and to me this is the priority area, to give every body a level playing
field so we can all express ourselves and thus have a chance of being
understood. We all know the obstacles here,

.         The need for free and universal access to the Internet in all
countries

.         The need for adequate infrastructure effectively utilizing the
various line and wireless technologies to the last mile.

.         The need for adequate communication tools so that the educated as
well as the uneducated can use the internet as a means of expressing their
thoughts and ideas.

.         The need for protection and privacy.

.         The need to be integrated in the Internet Economy.

.         The need for freedom of speech and freedom of browsing (within
prescribed legal framework).

.         And this for me is also critical that each person own a piece of
the internet by having their own domain. (like owning your own land.

If we focus on solving these then the process itself will answer many of
these issues we are now grappling with.

Regards.

Devon