[governance] MSism and democracy

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:08:33 EDT 2011

Snap!
Which in the language of a children's card game means recognition that we
both produced the same card :-)
We could use our collective will to create the lever which would win us the
game - if we wanted to strongly enough??
My apologies for the very mixed metaphors

Deirdre

On 9 June 2011 09:47, Roxana Goldstein <goldstein.roxana at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks TApani for your effort in telling everybody your thoughts.
>
> What I want everyone in this list to understand, is that this -translation-
> is not a problem of a sole person (a "one" or a "you"), but a problem of the
> whole society, if you want.
>
> I mean, it is an institutional problem how to allow everybody to be heard
> in a governance process, with equal opportunities to influence policies that
> are significant for their  own lives.
>
> In the way you think, is that huge groups of people are underrepresented in
> the IG processes, an this is not an individual problem, but a political
> problem -the whole global, national, local societies are involved-.
>
> Meaning this that is not a problem that each person must solve alone, but a
> problem that institutions must take into account and then put in place
> solutions.
>
> If society decides to implement the solution to translation by automatic
> translators, it means that the problem is not being faced in an adecuate
> way, as facts show that they have not been enough to allow every group in
> the global society to have equal opportunities to participate and influence
> in the IG processes.
>
> It is not only that each of us must decide alone if she/he will run the
> risk of being understood or not in her/his first language, on the contrary,
> it is a problem of all of us to allow every group in this wonderful world to
> be heard and to be understood and to have equal rights to influence policy.
>
> Best regards,
> Roxana
>

> 2011/6/9 Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 12:43:28PM -0400, Deirdre Williams (
>> williams.deirdre at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> > I think each person should have the right, recognised and
>> > automatically accepted by others, to express him or her self in the
>> > language in which he or she feels most comfortable.
>>
>> That is a beautiful ideal.
>>
>> I'm afraid, however, that it isn't all that useful in practice.
>> It works well in a true bilingual setting, but not so well in
>> larger, really multilingual environments.
>>
>> For what is the meaning of a right to use a language that won't be
>> understood?
>>
>> If you want to be understood, you must use a language that your
>> audience will understand, one way or another.
>>
>> You can use your own language, or one you're otherwise fluent with,
>> and take the risk it will be misunderstood due to audience's
>> poor skill at it and/or poor translation services,
>> or use a language they understand, and take the risk that
>> your poor command of it may cause misunderstandings.
>>
>> Which is better, depends on the respective language
>> skills of you and your audience (and translators).
>>
>> In general, however, at least in a context of technical,
>> political or such discussion, I find it is usually better
>> for the speaker to make an effort to make understanding
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979