[governance] MSism and democracy

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Thu Jun 9 09:16:03 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:52:51AM -0400, Daniel Pimienta (pimienta at funredes.org) wrote:

> The key point is only to respect each person's subjectivity when it
> comes to the decision of the language to express (this point, by the
> way, can easily be argued as a basic Human Right).

Absolutely (and I would indeed argue it is a basic Human Right).

> real pragmatism is to pay due attention to the options

That is exactly right, and captures succinctly the essence
of what I tried to say: there are no simple solutions.
Neither "let's just use English because it's easiest"
nor "let everyone speak their own language lest language
restrict their participation" will work in every situation.

> Ignoring the issue (with the pretext of a non neutral "pragmatism")
> is simply ignoring the basic right of too many people

Agreed again. I am certainly not going to argue it should be ignored,
at least not until everybody on Earth speaks Finnish perfectly. :-)

Cordialmente,

--
Tapani Tarvainen
     governance at lists.cpsr.org