[governance] MSism and democracy

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 8 01:04:14 EDT 2011

Dear Bertrand,

Thanks for engaging with this discussion. I have always been very keen
to get a serious discussion going on this subject, and rather to the
contrary of what you say, it is the multistakeholderism (MS) enthusiast
who have run away from probing questions both of (1)  the principled and
logical basis of their beliefs and stances and (2) the precise working
models of governance that they propose. I hope in this present
discussion they, and you, can answer such questions.

I have quite often stated my problems with  MSism as it mostly gets
spoken of and practised in IG arena, including at the recent CoE meeting
during the panel discussion moderated by you.

Your email raises two specific issues, the first one is

"what I am missing in your very critical comment ("/it is very much the
wrong direction/") is the proposed alternative;"

The alternative is the original corrective to the shortcomings of
representational democracy. This is what is spoken of as deepening
democracy or what we may also call as participatory democracy (though
not the anarchic versions of it which suffer from the precise ill you
speak of - a real workable alternative model). Its institutional forms -
existing and those possible in the future - have been well discussed in
literature, and there is enough stuff about practical working models as
well, including some about the global space. I am ready, in fact eager,
to have a specific discussion on this.

I have always engaged positively by presenting proposals of working
models of what I (or we) want, and what for us is taking democracy
forward rather than supplanting it. We, as in my organisation, worked
with the Indian government delegates to come up with a clear proposal on
how MAG for instance should be constituted, which addresses the
negatives of MSism. This part of the 'Indian proposal' is enclosed,
which is also largely contained in the contribution IT for Change made
to the process. Is it not specific enough? Now, reversing the 'inquiring
role' I am eager to know what are your own views on it.

The second issue your raise is contained in the following part of your
email.

".......imperfect as they are, aren't the experiences currently under
way presenting more potential for broad participation, openness and
"deeper democracy" (to use your formulation) than using only
intergovernmental interaction in the UN or the G8 ? In a nutshell, what
would you like to see that would be so different from what is being
attempted in the IGF, for instance, that it would justify thrashing it
instead of perfecting it ?"

First of all I agree that 'only intergovernmental interaction in the UN
or the G8' is not at all a good model, and it requires huge huge
improvements changes. This must be obvious from my contributions to the
IGC and other forums. However, my contention also is that MSism as
currently practised in the IG arena may actually be making things worse.

Deeper or participatory democracy is about getting in voices that are
less powerful and less heard otherwise into the political processes. Can
you honestly say that this is what the MS model in IG is doing
currently? I do not think so. I think it has become a cover or a
legitimising device for increased influence on policy making of those
who are already very powerful, with which I mean the big businessin the
digital/ IT/ Internet space. There are numerous examples of this, and
what is more problematic is how such huge transgressions to political
and democratic propriety are routinely responded to by 'deep silences'
on the part of MSism upholders. Such silences favouring the interests of
the powerful, as you will also see from the Spanish protests (as also
earlier ones in the Arab world), are the very anti-thesis of new
democratic processes that we would like to see take root. Following are
but a very few examples of what MSism in IG space is really showing up
to be....

1) Anyone who has seen MAG work know who almost completely dominates the
discourse and the outcomes thereof. I wont go into specific details here
but am happy to discuss this further if you so want. Developing country
gov reps have consistently raised this issue in their private
conversations about the IGF and the MAG. Very often this is the first
and the main issue they raise, and I have to agree with them.

2) e G 8 forums, which despite our protests remained what it was
supposed to. Then there is this French presidents digital advisory
council made exclusively of big business.

3) Two mega digital corporations, most affected by the proposed
regulation, together practically wrote the net neutrality legislation of
the the county which is the digital capital of the world. One would,
today, still think it impossible that the top drug company and the top
private hospital chain in the US 'openly' (lobbying and pushing text
secretively is a different thing) come up with the default  health
policy draft, even in the US. This is an instance of the kind of
'firsts' that the IG world is contributing to our political systems, and
the MS discourse certainly has something to so with it.

4) The UN broadband commission was headed by someone who has  a
practical monopoly on a major country's telecom business, and who
acquired this business by buying off the incumbent public sector company
through means that have been severely questioned. Again a first in the
name of MSism.

5) Closer home in India, some proprietary software and digital content
companies, interested in the huge public education 'market' of India,
quite ingeniously managed to become the key and driving participants of
an 'officially' mandated MS process of writing a draft for India's 'ICTs
in schools' policy. The draft that came out was of course on the
expected lines. It took a huge amount of work from organisation like
ours to get the drafting process scrapped by the minister involved. But
such things have not stopped.... So it is not for the joy of
contrarinian-ism that I offer critiques to MSism, this has had central
implications to my organisation's political struggles.

6) Dept of IT in India has a couple of advisory groups consisting only
of big business reps apart form gov, and also frequently holds
consultations where only these big business reps are invited. (see for a
recent  meeting of such kind
http://www.mit.gov.in/sites/upload_files/dit/files/MinutesofmeetingNationalRolloutofe-district2ndMay2011.pdf
). This kind of stuff, thankfully, still does not happen in any other
department in India.

The instances are endless. So when you say there are issues with MSism,
to quote your email, 'such as the risks of capture, the weight of some
actors, the north-south unbalances and the representation of the
unrepresented' , one needs to know clearly what is being done about
them. Merely mentioning them as a footnote is of little use to those
whom these issues really bother. What I see is that there seems not even
the readiness to debate these issues, much less do anything about them,
which to me confirms my hypothesis regarding who holds the reins of much
what goes for MSism in the IG arena.

Also, another question that MSists never seem to respond to is - are
they ready to have their countries governed through the same kind of
hazy MSism as they recommend for global governance? If not why this
discrimination - democracy at home, MSism abroad. Is it because global
democracy brings the danger of global redistributions with it, and MSism
on the other hand helps promote Northern businesses establish even
greater global dominance and thus creates transfer channels in
directions opposite to what globally democratic political systems will
tend to do. Is this not the actual reason for Northern governments'
enthusiasm for MSism in the global IG arena (but not at places where
they themselves make decisions), and what is really behind the 'friendly
governments' discourse frequently heard on this list.

Happy to hear you responses to the above and engage further.

Parminder