[governance] Public comment draft of A2K amendments for UN Guidelines for Consumer Protection

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Jun 1 06:55:25 EDT 2011

Thanks for this, Jeremy. It looks good. And it is very useful for us to
have for discussions on how to protect online freedom of expression, and
free flow of information.

Frank la Rue's report on the Human Rights Council has some good
references on this. I copy below:

Anriette

D. Disconnecting users from Internet access, including on the basis of
violations of intellectual property rights law

49. While blocking and filtering measures deny access to certain content
on the Internet, States have also taken measures to cut off access to
the Internet entirely. The Special Rapporteur is deeply concerned by
discussions regarding a centralized “on/off” control over
Internet traffic. In addition, he is alarmed by proposals to disconnect
users from Internet access if they violate intellectual property rights.
This also includes legislation based on the
concept of “graduated response”, which imposes a series of penalties on
copyright infringers that could lead to suspension of Internet service,
such as the so-called “threestrikes- law” in France and the Digital
Economy Act 2010 of the United Kingdom.

50. Beyond the national level, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
(ACTA) has been proposed as a multilateral agreement to establish
international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement.
While the provisions to disconnect individuals from Internet access for
violating the treaty have been removed from the final text of
December 2010, the Special Rapporteur remains watchful about the
treaty’s eventual implications for intermediary liability and the right
to freedom of expression.

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692