[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jul 29 08:35:58 EDT 2011

Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:
> As between the only two choices available -- governmental governance
> and corporate governance, the only choice in which the people have a
> fighting chance even in theory is Government.

But how much is a theoretic fighting chance worth in practice?

Also note than in any reasonably well-established country with
a government that is approximately democratic for most kinds of
high-profile issues (like governments typically are in "Western"
countries), and that has a reasonably well-functioning court
system in which reasonable principles of law (including human
rights) are respected to a significant degree, if in such a
country corporate governance is abused too badly, there are
effective remedies available against the abuse.

Enforcing the law against one's own government is in practice
often more difficult than enforcing it against non-governmental
entities.

So I would argue that unless governments are reformed first to
make them verifiably suitable for handling internet governance
functions well, the change that you propose would not be
beneficial.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org