[governance] new gTLDs for ICBCs of DgEc DdEc - Call for IGC Statement

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 03:28:22 EDT 2011

>1. The Application must demonstrate service to the public interest,
including one or more of the following characteristics

> Service in an under‐served language, the presence of which on the
Internet has been limited

One more question arises that how the applicant would be able to show the
revenue (or ROI) if the scope of the service (new gTLD) in being
demonstrated to the area of “Under-served” language, where the Internet
has been limited? How the commitment or financial analysis be provided to
pay back the fee of US$25K per annum.

>3. The Application must NOT have any of the following characteristics:

>* A TLD string explicitly based, and related to, a trademark (ie. a "dot
brand" TLD)

>* A string that is, or is based on, a geographic name

One more question arises that why it is being proposed to exclude the
trademark holders of the Developing Economies to be granted with the
compensation in the fee and other relaxation, do they are getting the
commercial earning equal to the brands/trademark holders of the Developed
Economies? Similarly, it is also proposed by JAS WG that applicants from the
Developing Economies (and prospective beneficiaries of the compensation) may
not able to choose the geographic name, why? Just, to leave the options of
geographic name for the richest economies? Again would referred to the
comments recorded against above points (1) of under-served language -
digitally divided corners of the globe will not be able to get benefit from
the actual theme, the basic concept of the equal opportunities for everyone.

P.S. It seems to leave the business opportunities of geographical gTLDs for
the M+M and Neustar and TLDH.