[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 26 11:45:30 EDT 2011

In message
<CAD=1OvfSoW++UWCs9qX-ymwWLX4SRJSPAQEfgkjx=38CsDLUKQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
10:47:54 on Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> writes
>On 7/25/11, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> Does Internet Governance only apply to those activities which for
>> whatever reason their "Digital technology law" has failed to address, or
>> all digital technology that has some flavour of the Internet?
>>
>> If it's the first, who decides if it really has failed, rather than
>> succeeded in following policy principles other than those they would
>> have preferred?
>
>Human rights law was prior to the internet, and globally applicable.
>There could be no policy "choice" to ignore human rights law in favor
>of some vision of "digital technology law".

I certainly didn't have Human Rights law especially in mind (even though
earlier correspondents mentioned it), I'm interested here in a method to
distinguish between those things which we need to think of as *Internet*
governance, and those things which are perhaps Universal governance and
the Internet is simply part of that universe.

Only then can we discuss the kind of detail you go into later (and which
I have not previously commented on very much as far as I recall, so I'm
not sure how you deduce my alleged position with such certainty).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org