[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:19:26 EDT 2011

On 7/23/11, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> Obviously, because governance can be done by various actors, not all of
> whom are governments.

But governance can not be done by non-governmental, and especially
corporate, actors without major consequences.  I've addressed the
highlights of those major consequences in posts over the last couple
weeks.  As a policy wonk, Roland, I would think that you would be
somewhat averse to such simple statements as it's "obvious" that
governance can be done by various actors, when such a statement sets
up a very large series of important policy and rights issues.  No
matter which side you take on those issues, it would seem that
internet policy is your cup of tea, and informed accuracy your goal at
all times, so (perhaps in other forums outside the limits of email)
hopefully you will address them in detail at some other time, and make
statements within places like this email thread that leave openings
for that later discussion, such as:

"Obviously, because governance can be done by various actors, not all
of whom are governments, the field of "internet governance" is quite
large indeed, and the identity of the actor providing the governance
itself raises important questions of internet governance."

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1