[governance] Re: The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Jul 17 23:00:47 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Been enjoying the dialog. Am off on overdue holiday tomorrow so won;t belabor point now, but as to:

Public = Open and Private = Closed

Well things are more complicated than that in the Internet economy.

There are lots of private but relatively open software development environments; and some movement from private to public/open source development - of some things previously closed. Sometimes even by the same company, but now they hope others will contribute freebie code to help to augment their next - product development effort. Which will be built on top of open/public and closed/private; and open/private too.

Meaning, then, speaking of public policy, that an open Internet can;t be maintained or mandated by 'public' authority alone; since it requires and is constructed of - proprietary/private bits too. Some of which are then explicitly given away to the public. For example, we all use web standards, courtesy of W3C which we never talk about as a 'governance' issue. Even though it is a dues-paying private club. Which then gives away things under the GPL.

Anyway, to tie this back to the discussion on interconnection models and costs, and 'public' and 'private' in that context: in my own view, ultimately the Internet is public because it is built upon open, public (non-proprietary) standards, courtesy of IETF.

Beyond that elemental level, where private networks configured for IP traffic intersect - exactly there, the rules of the road are very much in play, and IGF certainly could in a hypothetical future be a primary forum for sorting those questions out.

But, and here I agree with Roland, trying to revert to voice-(half-) circuit regulatory models for - packet data networks among various contracted parties - doesn't help much.  And especially not for developing countries. Encouraging a couple data providers competing, in bringing bandwidth to and from - anywhere - usually works better, faster, at making more bandwidth available at lower cost.  The elusive public (interest) in that environment is - where we are kind of stuck at the moment.

Lee