[governance] The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

devonrb at gmail.com devonrb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 17:37:19 EDT 2011

This Is a very well reasoned piece on the nature of the Internet. It is physical space as the foundation of virtual space. The virtual space is geometrically larger than the physical space on which it is based, making available enough free space for every individual on planet earth.  With more than enough space for economic enterprise and private ownership.

 Space here is equated to property. The ideal situation here os that every citizen of earth to own a piece of the internet, adequate space is available for commerce, there is adequate common space for every body in the world to meet in one forum, every representative grouping of people has adequate space for their activities, there is adequate space for counter cyber crime activities,counter cyber terrorism activities and counter cyber maliicious activities. All this is in addition to totally free space like parks where anyone can visit and interact in for a while.
In my mind these are the type of goals we need to work towards in the development of a governance structure. Of course the question is who drives all this, my answer: The IGF. How? By engaging every member in a democratic process of action:

Finally the internet is potentially the most likely means of achieving equity in the distribution of wealth, the freedom of expression, the right to privacy and other such basic principles of a human right. Let us not waste this opportunity, but grasp it with both hands.
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel