[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Thu Jul 14 17:54:36 EDT 2011

Google Analytics is quite good at detecting where a user is located as
long as the user is not trying to obfuscate their location. It is quite
easy obfuscate your location if you desire. VPNs, proxies, and things like
TOR can be used alone or in combination to cause enough doubt that IP
addresses cannot be used to identify a location or a person. With money
involved many people would be trying to scam the system.

I'm not against some sort of global taxation scheme. I think it is
impractical given the number of jurisdictions involved. I think that
trying to stop people from scamming the system would give governments too
much control that could be used for other less desirous actions. Finally I
believe that the Internet and the definition of IP rights are evolving so
fast that the system would always be out of date with current business
practices. For those reasons I would oppose such a scheme. I do believe in
a democratic process. If somehow the majority of Internet users were for
such a scheme then yes, it would take some very clever minds to figure out
a technical solution. Under those circumstances I'd support such a scheme.

Kerry Brown

     governance at lists.cpsr.org