[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Philippe Blanchard philippe.blanchard at me.com
Wed Jul 13 11:27:09 EDT 2011

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for pushing this discussion a bit further.

I know there are many constraints. Not only for pure internet players but even more for "click and mortar" players... and on I am clearly aware I am on a rather simplistic, Manichean, approach.

I fully agree that setting a structure whose responsibility would be to collect the money and then redistribute it to the national jurisdiction would be tedious, expensive and... irrelevant. The state level is no more relevant and I am not sure the question is about redistributing any money back to the national government.... but to diminish the level of funding currently required by the UN and their agencies. This international responsibility would be linked to an international legitimacy to collect taxes. The question of the several national jurisdiction would then be solved by the fact there would be only one, international, rule applying to all.
Then, regarding the "additional layer of bureaucracy", I do not see it as an "additional" layer since this international jurisdiction would supersede the national ones.  We all remember the TOBIN tax proposal (a taxation on international financial transactions)...
Most of the international transactions are already monitored and consolidating the information should not require armies of public officers but an international collaboration framework with a common taxonomy and interconnexion of the databases.
Government might consider that having another player would decrease their own national revenues. We need to remember that there are already several cases where this happen : VAT for instance.
I know this is a tiny portion of international commerce but I take it as an illustration. The general public buying goods abroad can be reimbursed of the VAT they paid to the country they are leaving.
Governements keep the taxes on the benefits made by the sales agent on their territory but they do not collect the VAT of purchases made on their territories.
(The funny thing however is that those collaboration between the national customs agencies gave birth to international VAT reimbursement players who keep a share for their own administrative costs. And that is clearly detrimental to the final buyer)
There are already intergovernmental collaboration with electronic data interchange (Interpol)...
On the question of the amount of money to be collected, this is clearly something that should be decided by the Nations representatives... and the implementation would be then on the agency agenda...

Regarding your analyses that  "in the long run it will prove impossible to tax the sale of IP", I have mixed feelings. I think that IP rights will be reconsidered thoroughly and that if Gutenberg and his press gave birth to IP, internet and hypertext will review drastically the notion of IP and the value of content.... and hitherto related taxes... But as long as content will have a price.. there will be taxes ;-)

Kind regards
Ph