[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Jul 13 08:53:41 EDT 2011

Interesting discussion indeed.

What is an application? What you pay for, when you buy software? Aren't
you paying for the right to use the application? How are taxes collected
on rights to use? Who is taxed -- the party that gives the right, or the
party that receives the right?

Does the application have physical location? Does it reside on my iPad
flash storage and if it does, can I take it from there and put it in
another physical place? Or does it reside "somewhere" in the Internet cloud?

What if the application is web based, "resides" and "runs" somewhere,
but I "use" it here?

Could you also explain to me who collects taxes when:

Apple in California sold me the application.
I purchased it while in Oslo (Norvay), then used it while staying at the
Frankfurt (Germany) airport and continued to use it back home in Varna
(Bulgaria).

Internet does not have 'place' and it also does not do anything with
'physical' objects. Both these things are the foundation of the current
taxation system.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org