[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Jul 12 13:06:47 EDT 2011

In BR, actually 5,565 municipal governments :) One interesting case is
the old capital of Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, which was a state-like
structure (federal district) in the US sense of the word until Brasília
was inaugurated in 1961, then became a real state (the short-lived state
of Guanabara) which ended up by becoming the capital city of the larger
state of Rio de Janeiro, with 92 municipalities, including Rio itself.
Public services (and taxes) here are a funny or terrible (depending on
the point of view) case study in conflicting jurisdictions among local,
state and federal governments.

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org