[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue Jul 12 12:24:26 EDT 2011

Milton,

Right.

Taxation is just part of - (multiple) governance regimes.  Their intersection and overlay however, is very rarely fixed in and around the Internet.

To say something is 'anti-Internet' because it applies a particular jurisdictions - regulations - in some form, for some defined subjects, who may be in a defined geography, in some sense, is divorced from reality indeed.

As to: 'anyone who advocates such a thing is anti-internet, anti-growth, anti-economy and/or has no clue regarding the practical consequences of what they are saying.'

But please tell me how you really feel? Please don;t hold back not to hurt my feelings over the conclusion one might draw from a ten year old paper.

Seriously, things are far more complicated than  you allude to, where we are heading is a world of governance challenges in which the Internet of Things (and people) intersect through virtual markets made by boundary-spanning virtual organizations, some fraction of which are corporations, most likely across wireless grids.  The Internet is just a small part of that - governance challenge.

So yes, worrying about networks and states is kind of old fashioned (Now I'm teasing, I'm teasing : )

And that future - of Virtual Markets and Wireless Grids - is the subject if my next couple books, which I pre-advertise here. ; )
 Cough Imperial College Press/World Scientific Press, forthcoming. Cough.

Lee