[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 07:12:11 EDT 2011

It seems to be beyond question that taxes are the rent we must and
should pay for civil and civilized society.  While debatable at the
margin in terms of how much taxation is desirable and in some cases
for what purposes, there's no doubt that every individual and business
needs and relies upon the roads, telecommunications infrastructures,
fire and police services, legal infrastructure and so forth for their
very livelihood and modern existence.  To equate taxation with
parasitism in a broad way is not a responsible position, though it is
a common political attack designed mainly to put a downward pressure
on the amount of taxation.  Still, it "proves" or claims way too much,
and is not a responsible or factually accurate position to take.

I'm not saying this was Milton's intent in his expression (to equate
all taxation with "parasitism") but this is the political bell that's
rung in my mind and I believe the minds of others as well, whenever
the idea of "parasitism" is attached to government taxation without
careful restriction of the scope of that word to specific facts of
specific cases of opportunistic over-taxation.

Applied to the internet, the metaphor of parasitism can have more
power than it deserves.  When users get accustomed to "free" internet
access they may start to erroneously believe that the internet happens
without government services in the form of telecommunications
infrastructure, legal infrastructure and so forth, and therefore
mistakenly oppose proposals to secure continued support for these
things to keep the internet well.
Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.