[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 15:19:43 EDT 2011

 Multinationals exist to make a profit. It follows that to make this profit
and keep the shareholders and the Directors happy, they will strategise to
continuously making their profit. This impacts on the level of strategies
that they deploy to thwart off competitors and to encourage innovation by
guessing what the customers will demand. This drives innovation. In this
environment, one is likely to see highly trained human resources that are
strategically giving counsel on all fronts whether as engineers, tax
lawyers, marketing etc. Part of reducing the operational expenses will be to
reduce taxation. Whilst Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is not illegal
and depends on the jurisdictions in play. This is why when companies choose
location, they are looking holistically into the environment that makes it
conducive for them to do business (cost of production, taxation etc etc).

This is where Governments engage in Trade Negotiations and Tax Treaties,
these schedules are negotiated. Because by its very nature, the world has
diverse treatments and laws because countries are sovereign, it follows that
it will have external implications. This is just a product of the different
systems.

*What sort of checks and balances are needed for this multinationals?*

   - Do they "self-regulate"?
   - Should there be checks and balances?

*What are some considerations?*

   - Human Rights Concerns and Responsibilities - These include Economic
   Rights, Socio-cultural Rights, Civil and Political RIghts;
   - etc

The reality is that it is going to be difficult as countries are sovereign
and will regulate as they please. At the same time, multinationals also have
the "freedom of choice" and they can wield at *their* will.

I am not a fan of heavy handed regulation but think that dialogue helps
people consider their "actions" or the impact thereof. A multinational would
probably not want to put out "free apps" for fear of having it stolen and
duplicated and sold. If IP protection is secured, then this could be an
incentive to land it for "free" in Taiwan.

Sala

   - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Philippe Blanchard
<philippe.blanchard at me.com>wrote:

An international agency... this is the only way to avoid tax competition
> between territories (or even worst, tax exemptions).
> Philippe
>
> On Jul 8, 2011, at 8:19 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
>
> Well then who can/should tax/regulate these?

Sala

"Stillness in the midst of the noise".