[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jul 5 12:33:01 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 05 July 2011 09:47 PM, McTim wrote:

> If anyone is blackmailing anyone here it is the the Taiwanese
> blackmailing Google?  Google is the one to pay the fine.  If we were
> really serious about "intermediate liability" we would say that Google
> supplies the marketplace ONLY and that app developers are the ones who
> must figure out how to abide by local laws, no?

 From the news item

      "Android Market already provides a 15-minute refund window for all
      paid apps --- which reflects the fact that apps are delivered
      over-the-air instantly and most users who request a refund [could]
      do so within minutes of their purchase," the company said in the
      statement.

It should be obvious that whoever controls the market and provides a 15
minute refund window must also be the one considered responsible for
*not* providing a 7 day window as per the requirements of the local law.
When Google is accepting that it is the responsible party I am not sure,
McTim, why do you have to play being more loyal than the king.

Parminder