[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 5 11:13:27 EDT 2011

In message
<93F4C2F3D19A03439EAC16D47C591DDE035FB277D3 at suex07-mbx-08.ad.syr.edu>,
at 09:41:58 on Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> writes
>Amazon.com is the most notorious Internet tax scofflaw, pretending that it never needs to collect local taxes - because it can;t figure out
>who/where it's customers are. And yet somehow they manage to process our transctions with them, while otherwise being mystified by the
>complexity of the net.

In Europe they raise invoices in Luxembourg, and ship from (eg) UK-UK,
but they manage to charge UK sales tax to UK customers, which is OK for
all parties.

There are some "offshore" organisations which do mail order to the UK
from the Channel Islands (which are outside the EU) and import/sales tax
is waived (by postal customs agents) for all items below a value
equivalent to about USD25. Typical products are DVDs.

However, the UK government has recently reduced the rate to around
USD20, and is threatening to withdraw the concession altogether if large
retailers continue to exploit this loophole by shipping from these
places. It's not just the money, there are fewer delays processing the
goods at the border, and no need to have an expensive mechanism to
collect the small amounts (per item) of tax from the customers.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org