[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Jan 30 13:22:32 EST 2011

In message <70B8364FA75A4CADA109D1814C62E380 at userPC>, at 08:09:14 on
Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>I think that we need to see these as long term processes with multiple
>actors, influences, potential outcomes and so on.
>
>But there would clearly seem to be a need for a statement of principles/code
>of conduct with respect to access to/the opportunity to use the means of
>communication.  That there will be opposition to such is hardly relevent to
>the articulation and civil society agitation in support of such a set of
>principles/code.
>
>That governments or whoever would insist that there were various kinds of
>clauses to ensure their ultimate authority in these areas is similarly
>irrelevant since as with Human Rights agreements/codes their presence acts
>as some sort of standard against which breaches can be measured and
>responded to and governments (and the private sector) can be held
>accountable.
>
>It is hard to see what in the area of Global Internet Governance could be of
>more importance than the setting in place of a process for the formulation
>and ratification of such an agreement.

I agree for normal times. And in normal times I also have a right of
free passage on the roads. But today that was prevented to some extent
by the police on account of the number of football fans attending a
particularly rivalrous match[1]. The police probably thought they were
protecting me from the football supporters, as much as vice versa.

[1] Notts County vs Manchester City, a 1:1 draw.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org