AW: [governance] CSTD IX. Conclusions and recommendations

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Jan 30 06:56:23 EST 2011

Wolfgang Kleinwächter <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> If you start negotiations, you close mind and mouth of decision
> makers and participants will only try to get "their position"
> reflected in the final document.

Ok, so what kinds of textual outcomes are possible to create
(beyond what the IGF has been creating so far) while avoiding
this problem?

I mean textual outcomes that have better impact towards making
positive changes happen.

> I repeat my proposal with the seven roles/functions IGF 2.0 could play:
> 1. Observatory
> 2. Clearinghouse
> 3. Laboratory
> 4. School
> 5. Scout
> 6. Early Warning System
> 7. Watchdog
>
> For each of the seven function one can develop a special procedure
> how to translate this into concrete elements of an IGF process.

I like the direction in which you're thinking here. I'd like to
see the number of roles/functions reduced though, in order for us to
be able to focus more on a smaller number of objectives.

Role "3. Laboratory" is unavoidable -- the IGF is an important
pioneer of UN-based multistakeholder work, so it must be a laboratory
for this to some extent.

Role "4. School" is necessary as well I think.

I'm not sure of role "2. Clearinghouse" -- maybe establishing the kind
of decision-making procedure that is necessary for a clearinghouse
(or even just trying to do so) would unduly burden the IGF, in the
same way as the point that you have made about creating a formally
negotiated text?

With respect to the roles "1. Observatory", "5. Scout", "6. Early
Warning System", "7. Watchdog", it is not clear to me how they are
differentiated from each other. Maybe it would be possible to
combine these points into one?

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org