[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Jan 30 04:30:35 EST 2011

Hi Roland,

I'm not suggesting this solves all problems - only that it creates the
beginning of a more principled approach to such requests and the beginning
of an understanding that humans have rights here that should not just be
subject to the politics and political knee jerk reactions of the day. Just
like police needing magistrates to issue search warrants, I guess - it
doesn't create an end to police states, but it does create a situation where
action to take down internet access needs to be justified according to the
laws of the nation state involved (poor those they might be).

I think its an important step for us to begin to lobby for such a code of
conduct, even if only voluntary at this stage. I think many of the internet
businesses would support such an approach, it helps them to have some
universally accepted guidelines as well.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org