[governance] Internet blackout in Egypt

Walid Al-Saqaf admin at alkasir.com
Fri Jan 28 05:04:50 EST 2011

Coming from Yemen, I can say that it all depends on where you live and in my
country, Al Jazeera certainly has the upper hand in reaching a much broader
section of the population. Internet penetration is much lower there compared
to Egypt and Tunisia and hence, the impact of social networks is minimal.
Nonetheless, what I feel is important is to focus on the complementary
relationship between satellite TV and the Internet. Each has an impact and
when both are aligned, they create the perfect storm, which explains why
Jordan once jammed Al Jazeera's signal once and Egypt cut off the Internet.

Best..
Sincerely,

Walid

Walid Al-Saqaf
Founder & Administrator
alkasir for mapping and circumventing cyber censorship
https://alkasir.com <walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>