AW: [governance] CSTD IX. Conclusions and recommendations

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 09:14:11 EST 2011

Parminder and all,

Another difference between EuroDIG and the IGF is scale. In EuroDIG we are
talking about 2 days, with the maximum of 3 sessions in parallel. IGF
schedule is much heavier, impossible to grasp completely and much more
difficult to "summarize".

An additional difference is cultural convergence. EuroDIG is a forum for
Europeans. There is a common cultural background and world view that makes
it easier to begin discussions based on common assumptions. In IGF we need
to "culturally negotiate" our understanding of things. Quite harder.

This is to say that even though summaries of discussions of the sessions
(ex: people said this, other people said that) is necessary to map policy
options, it might not be enough to produce something that is fit for
policy-making. And usually there is no time to transform rough material into
material that is fit for policy-making during wrap-up workshops or main
session. These workshops and main sessions are vital to identify
intersections among themes (ex: intersections between the discussion of a
workshop on NN and another in A2K, for instance).  But we need more time and
more careful discussion to transform these summaries into something that can
serve as input for policy. This is the reason why a renewed MAG, with
broader mandate can make the difference. Let me reproduce part of an e-mail
I sent months ago, in the context of the discussion about EC:

*
*

*The new role of the MAG*
It seems hard to understand that we disregard in our proposal the MAG,
multistakeholder body that already exists. Is it a black box? Then, let’s
advocate for its change, to make it transparent. Now is the right time to do
it, with the CSTD WG process.

If the legitimacy of the MAG is reinforced and true conditions for equal
participation among stakeholders is achieved, then the role of the MAG could
be changed and it could become a body whose main competence is to *propose
action lines regarding policies and regulation*, based on the input received
from the IGF. While the IGF would be the place to agenda-setting and
issue-shaping, the group would be the place to policy design. If any
stakeholder group (a group of developed countries, for instance) wants to
propose a new policy, this group would need to launch the idea at the IGF
(valuing this space). If it gathers support (after being put to the test of
debate in the IGF), then it will reach the multistakeholder group, where
policy-shaping would take place.

The MAG would also be responsible to *foster coordination* with other
organizations on the IG constellation, also guided by the discussions in the
IGF. So MAG could also have a role in the two additional tasks Parminder
mentioned:

"(2) how to effectively communicate them to the spaces/ forums/ bodies etc
that should and would make actual policies, and
(3) how to keep up an ongoing process of reviewing what has been happening
to the outcomes of the IGF, and how well or not they have been followed up".

Of course, this new role of the MAG should be complemented with the
establishment of links between the MAG and other bodies with actual
decision-making power such as UN bodies and maybe an EC mechanism, if it
exists in the future.

Jeremy´s suggestion ("MAG needs to be split up into stakeholder councils")
is very interesting and should be aggregated to this brainstorm.

Best,
Marília

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio