[governance] WGIGF inputs

Miguel Alcaine miguel.alcaine at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:47:36 EST 2011

Dear all,

As an early supporter of these ideas, I would like to hightlight the
following from Parminder's mail:

The UN GA resolution for instance sought improvements specifically with a
'view to linking it to the broader
dialogue on global Internet governance', It also mentions IGF's
complementarity to the enhanced cooperation process, which itself is an
important issue to keep in mind for proposing structural improvements.

Those intersections between a) IGF and the broader dialogue and, b) IGF and
enhanced cooperation need to be designed.

The IGF will be needed as an agora, a place for discussion among all
stakeholders without negotiations, in the Internet Governance ecosystem. One
way to strengthen its relationships with decision taking entities in the
Internet Governance Ecosystem is through its results: e.g. report, messages,
etc. This is one part of the equation. The other part of the equation will
be to have a way of reviewing if messages, report, etc. had been taken into
account in other entities.

IGF is an example of enhanced cooperation, at least in having everybody at
the same level. In other settings, in spite of Westphalia, there are States
more equal than others. Additionally, other entities of the IG ecosystem
could take advantage of the IGF by communicating to the IGF community their
results, methods of work, etc which may also be a way of observing if the
WSIS IG principles are evolving in the IG ecosystem.

The two processes may be complementary as the resolution says. For once, the
non-negotiating nature of the IGF is not going to change. And, on the other
hand, EC, as focused by the Tunis Agenda, may evolve towards more formal
arrangements.

Best,

Miguel