[governance] CSTD Q2-Format of IGF meetings

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 25 04:03:05 EST 2011

In message
<AANLkTim_LwH_X5BH1XiYc+iP39HGP-yE2K=toH5AJxB8 at mail.gmail.com>, at
11:30:11 on Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> writes
>> On 24.01.2011 09:13, Roland Perry wrote:

>>>Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>  writes

>>> This seems to be a major structural change. Does the "UN Framework"
>>> within which the meetings take place (and Markus has explained several
>>> times why the main sessions are the length they are etc) allow for two
>>> days without any main sessions? Although presumably there *has* to be an
>>> Opening/Welcome Ceremony on the first day, whatever else is decided.

>On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
>> We could consider reducing the number of main sessions altogether. I am not
>> sure it would be a good idea to squeeze them into two days.
>>
>> jeanette
>>
>The two day proposal might not be workable but the idea to reduce the
>duration of the main sessions in a given day could be a very useful
>proposal because the participation in the main sessions also falls
>because of interest in the workshops.
>
>-- Foo

With respect, while I agree that a different structure might be better,
I was asking if the protocol permits the running of a "UN meeting"
without a "main session" in each [very strictly 3-hour] time slot.

In other words, while the rest of us can have workshops to any timetable
we like, the UN-organised aspect of the IGF has to be two 3hr Main
sessions a day.

But it's interesting how the focus of the IGF has changed from "main
sessions with a few associated workshops", to a "workshop-driven
conference with a few associated main sessions"; and if we can keep the
total number of workshops under control, formalising this might be a
useful exercise.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org