[governance] Draft statement on Nairobi meeting programme

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Jan 22 17:24:32 EST 2011

I¹m with Marilia for advancing the A2K agenda.

From: Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:04:41 -0200
To: <governance at lists.cpsr.org>
Subject: Re: [governance] Draft statement on Nairobi meeting programme

Hi Jeremy, very good summary of the main issues under the three themes.

While I agree with your approach that makes A2K a transversal issue, I
believe it is very important that we go beyond words and really mainstream
it on the debates.

I have just returned from the A2K Global Academy in Cape Town and one of the
topics discussed, particularly in the presentation delivered by Laura De
Nardis, was the interplay between infrastructure issues (such as peering
agreements, interconnection costs and network neutrality) and A2K. The theme
is also important if we consider that one of the main transboder issues
under debate is IP enforcement and ISP liability.

In sum, the regimes of ³governance of knowledge² and of Internet governance
are very much interconnected.

It is regrettable to notice that the space that A2K has had in IGF agenda
has continuously diminished over the years. Last year A2K was placed under
"Security, openness and privacy" main session, which already embodies a lot
of controversial and important topics. As predicted, A2K had no space for
discussion.

Best,

Marilia

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
wrote:

>  "If your network delivers content mainly to mobile users, it makes sense to
> try to gather some of the necessary extra revenue at the inbound edge (and
> leave the publisher to offset that by the income generation in his own
> business plan), rather than handing out an indefinite "free lunch". "
>
>  Pay-for-priority distorts the very nature of the Internet, and over time the
> Internet will just not look the same. (Charging different fees for download
> volumes is a very different thing. ) It changes the level playing field nature
> of this new and revolutionary communication paradigm of the Internet. It thus
> impacts freedom of expression, economic competitiveness for new players, and
> egalitarian possibilities that Internet offer. A simple cost-profit and
> economic feasibility framework is not the best way to understand the
> implications of the NN issue, as it is not for media and other constructions
> of the public sphere, and as it not for many other social and cultural issues.
> Happy to discuss this issue further - quite close to my heart.
>
>  parminder
>
>  Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <E09009D3-015C-44D5-9761-F897BF39CE8E at ciroap.org>
>> <mailto:E09009D3-015C-44D5-9761-F897BF39CE8E at ciroap.org> , at 19:14:11 on
>> Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>
>> <mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org>  writes
>>

>>> Should different rules apply for mobile and wired Internet networks?  If so,
>>> how can communications rights and Access to Knowledge be preserved for those
>>> users, in order to avoid an ongoing information divide
>>>

>>  I recall debates (in the UK) about fifteen years ago where the theme was
>> wanting "freephone" or "800" access to ISP modem banks on the grounds that
>> paying around five dollars[1] an hour for a regular phone call was some kind
>> of infringement of a right to free expression.
>>
>>  No-one was able to explain how the dial-up telephone infrastructure which is
>> required to support [what eventually became at some times of day the biggest
>> user of the telephone network] was to be paid for.
>>
>>  Eventually a compromise of paying at "local call" cost of perhaps 2 cents a
>> minute, despite the calls often being long distance, was arrived at. Then ten
>> years ago cable and ADSL happened, and people forgot the charging aspects of
>> dial-up Internet, along with forgetting the restricted bandwidth.
>>
>>  Now history is repeating itself with 3G data (very few people even expected
>> to use 2/2.5G data for more than email). Carriers who over-generously offered
>> "unlimited" plans of perhaps one to three Gigabytes a month for thirty
>> dollars (which includes handset rental and voice calls) find their networks
>> choked by people downloading streaming video, and try to invoke caps [limits]
>> typically in the region of half a Gigabyte a month. Which would be several
>> year's worth of email, even for a prolific user such as myself.

> [...]

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society
Getulio Vargas Foundation