[governance] Draft statement on Nairobi meeting programme

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:24:50 EST 2011

"If your network delivers content mainly to mobile users, it makes sense to
try to gather some of the necessary extra revenue at the inbound edge (and
leave the publisher to offset that by the income generation in his own
business plan), rather than handing out an indefinite "free lunch".

One of the panelists in the recent A2K GA argued that there is no technical
reason to treat cable and wireless differently. In fact, the traffic that
circulates in regular "wired" connection is partly transmitted in a wireless
manner already.

>From what I have seen on previous NN debates in IGF, the industry tends to
focus on technical design while CS tends to focus on rights and no real
dialogue comes out of the session. It would be very good to invite people to
the debate that could question the premises used by the industry. That would
help to "force" a dialogue and to bridge the technical and the rights
approach.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <4D3AC9EF.3030200 at itforchange.net>, at 17:43:35 on Sat, 22 Jan
> 2011, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>
>  "If your network delivers content mainly to mobile users, it makes
>> sense to try to gather some of the necessary extra revenue at the
>> inbound edge (and leave the publisher to offset that by the income
>> generation in his own business plan), rather than handing out an
>> indefinite "free lunch". "
>>
>> Pay-for-priority distorts the very nature of the Internet, and over
>> time the Internet will just not look the same. (Charging different fees
>> for download volumes is a very different thing. )
>>

> The only cases where "priority" in real time matters is streaming content
> such as VoIP and video. The latter is mainly a "download volume" issue, but
> there are some issues with VoIP where telcos and governments sometimes see
> it as an abstraction of revenue. To that extent I agree that an Internet
> without VoIP would be different.
>

>  It changes the level playing field nature of this new and revolutionary
>> communication paradigm of the Internet. It thus impacts freedom of
>> expression, economic competitiveness for new players, and egalitarian
>> possibilities that Internet offer.
>>

> But only for the one application (VoIP) which competes head-on with the
> carriers. There isn't another (unless you count IM vs SMS, and I don't see
> much liklihood of mobile networks throttling IM to force you to use SMS
> instead).
>

>  A simple cost-profit and economic feasibility
>> framework is not the best way to understand the implications of the NN
>> issue, as it is not for media and other constructions of the public
>> sphere, and as it not for many other social and cultural issues. Happy
>> to discuss this issue further - quite close to my heart.
>>

> Also very happy to discuss which applications, other than video streaming
> and VoIP, you think might be affected by lack of neutrality.
>
> And can I assume from your opening remarks that you think it's OK to charge
> <someone> for the extra burden of streaming video?
>

> --
> Roland Perry
>    http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade