[governance] From Free Tunisia

Khaled KOUBAA khaled.koubaa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:48:14 EST 2011

All,
For those who don't know Tunisia : Tunisia is a Small country, great
nation. First Arab country that abolished slavery in 1848. First Arab
country to establish a constitution in 1861. First Arab country to
abolish polygamy in 1956. First Arab country to legalize abortion in
1973. Tunisia is the first Arab country to kick out its dictator and
this without the help of any foreign nation!
Today Tunisia has reached a critical and important point in its history
after succeeding in its revolution. President Ben Ali has left the
country, and government has collapsed leaving the country in an
unpredictable situation.
A new “Coalition Government” has been announced bringing old dissidents
and Human Rights activists in team with a main focus of preparing a
democratic transition.
Friday January 14th 2011, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeLT2PEmnDI )
I have been inside the huge protestants in front of the ministry of
Interior and I witnessed brave people asking clearly their dictator to
leave.
Since then Tunisian retrieved their freedom lost many years and began
interesting politics.
Young people went on the street asking for more n and more social change
without being politically coached.
I have witnessed, and have been part, of the strength of the "real"
Tunisian Internet community to use Internet and Web 2.0 ( Blogs, Video,
Facebook, Twitter, … ) to support the revolution and everyday’s riots
showing to the world what’s happening due to a lack of official local
media coverage.
My life has been different during these days : my house is in a hot
spot; near El Aouina Army Casern and just between the Airport and the US
Embassy. So I took my wife to her father house, and I stayed alone
during 5 days. Everything was different each day; night riots with fire
shooting between protestants and police during the first 2 days , near
helicopter surveillance between army and snipers belonging to Ben Ali
Presidential militia during the last 3days.
I have never felt the importance of the security before that. It was the
same feeling that had the Tunisian people which led them to go out and
organize “Population committees” in each city to protect each city from
Ben Ali militia.
Tunisian Internet community is free today and will show to the world
what we are capable to accomplish.

Vive Internet and thank you Vint and Internet pioneers to gave us this
wonderful tool that helped our revolution.

 From the free Tunisia

Khaled Koubaa
     governance at lists.cpsr.org