[governance] Phase 2 of improvements to the IGC Web site

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Jan 9 17:20:19 EST 2011

Hi,

Jus so you know, if you didn't already, I think that renewing ones membership through the annual assertion that one makes before voting is a critical component of membership.

I do not think that someone who voted once 3 years ago and never did again remains a member.

So no, it is not the act of voting that matters, it is the yearly assertion that one subscribes to the charter that has been linked to the vote.  Perhaps there need to be a way to make that assertion separate from the vote, and that may, though I am not sure, require a small tweak in the charter.  I have no objection to fixing the charter when necessary, and we have done so once already.  What I am very concerned with is the notion of a charter committee just opening it up and seeing how we can change it to meet all sorts of political aspirations.  If there is something that we should do, like allow for separate declarations of support of the charter, e.g. a membership paragraph, then a few people (i think it takes 10) should just suggest a change and we should vote on it.   We should not in any case allow for someone to remain a member without at least some yearly reaffirmation, no matter how that is done. And that is what I think the list being created by Jeremy does - which I believe is contra the charter.

Ian I understand that this is less important that position papers, but I do not see how this should be deprecated or why it would stop anyone from working on papers in another thread if there really were people who wanted to do so.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org