[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 4 03:34:05 EST 2011

In message <B64342CF-E90A-4FD7-9074-94F89E9CC420 at ciroap.org>, at
14:05:15 on Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> writes

>Does anyone subscribe to a mailing list by sending email to the list
>address anymore?

Most people to most lists - yes. You also have to remember that email is
a much more robust protocol than http, especially for those users
experiencing long term access issues. (Although if you are losing emails
to any of your email addresses, I suggest you take that up as a matter
of urgency with your system administrators.)

>Surely they will just visit the list's Web page.

It's an EMAIL list.

If the community prefers a web forum (I wouldn't, but others may
disagree), then by all means have that; but this is a list about
Internet Governance and there are accepted ways to govern a mailing
list, which should not be changed lightly.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org