[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jan 3 22:31:23 EST 2011

On 02/01/2011, at 9:12 PM, Deirdre Williams wrote:

> "Official IGC members" are those who subscribe to the list, NOT those "who voted in the last coordinator elections". The definition in Jeremy's message seems to me to be a fundamental change in the intention of the charter.

There are so many different levels of membership in the charter that it is indeed confusing:

* Those who self-identified as members and voted in the last coordinator elections, who are the only members entitled to vote on charter amendments.  These are whom I was referring to above, though maybe "full" would have been a better choice of words than "official".

* Those who self-identified as members prior to the last coordinator election, who are (perhaps?) also still members, but can't vote on charter amendments.  The charter is ambiguous about whether you have to renew your self-identification every year.  In favour of this view, a member may have moved into government service  since their previous self-identification.  Against, even if you do work for government, you may feel that you can still self-identify as an IGC member in your personal capacity.

* Those who participate in the mailing list, but have never self-identified as members (whom I called "lurkers"). So, I disagree with your point that there is no such thing as a non-member lurker.

But, I agree that it would be better to completely review the charter, if only we had a willing group of members to undertake this task.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong
Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer groups from around the world
for four days of debate and discussion on the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress
Twitter #CICongress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.