[governance] Montreux

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 20:53:51 EST 2011

Hello all,

I am writing to share my impressions on the CSTD IGFWG meeting with you, and
I am glad to see that I focused some on some points that were different from
Izumi's and Wolfgang's.

The first day, dedicated to procedure is better documented below. On the
second day, I found it diffcult to take notes while following the meeting
and intervening at the same time. In any case, the meeting was being
recorded and I asked the Secretariat to make the transcript available as
soon as possible on the website, together with all contributions received in
the past or yet to be received (about the new version of the questionnaire,
see below)

*1 - General impressions*

Multistakeholder participation and equal chance to intervene on this space
seems to be something widely accepted now. India, Iran and others welcomed
the participation of other stakeholders, which was very positive.  Non-gov
actors could speak on equal footing.

The mood was not very good at the beginning of the meeting. The
Secretariat’s lack of responsiveness, the fact that they conevened the
meeting in Montreux during Saturday and the fact that the questions that
would supposedly structure report were not discussed in advance all gave
place to criticism,  which the Chair did not take well. Saying it short, we
are dealing with an unskilled Chair/Secretariat and this is something to
worry, given the huge amount of work ahead and the lack of time.

*2- Structure of the report (jump this topic if you don't want to hear about
procedure)*

The meeting begun with a procedural clarification asked by India and Egypt.
They asked if the questions of the draft structure were the ones that would
guide the writing of the report and asked who would actually take the task
of writing it. Some people argued the draft structure was an agenda for the
WG meeting only, not the actual structure of the report. Personally, I found
this approach a bit nonsense.

The chair said that we would only discuss that at the end of the meeting,
but suggested that maybe an ad hoc group could be created to write the
report.

India made a point that we could not go into substantive matters if we were
not sure that we were actually discussing points that would table the
report. In my opinion, the points made by India were very pertinent, but
unfortunately lead us to be caught in procedural matters again on the first
day.

Suggestions were made about new questions that should be introduced if the
points were going to guide the writing of the report. Ex: the first question
should be an evaluation of the fullfillment of te IGF mandate vis-a-vis the
Tunis Agenda, so we would know and document exactly which are the key-areas
for improvement.

India distributed a proposal that changed a bit the structure from the
questionnaire proposed by the secretariat. The business sector also
presented a proposal. Both proposals were successfully merged during coffee
brake. After new disgreements, the draft structure was approved on the
beginning of day 2,  being called as” key elements for the report”, which
give us room to believe that new issues can be included if the relevant (I
dont think any of the issues can be removed, though).

* *

*3 – Outcomes of the IGF*

As I said, I did not manage to take many notes on day 2, while speaking and
listening, but my impression was that there was general support that the IGF
would have as outcome something that would cover convergence and divergence
on policy matters and be apt to feed into the process of police making
taking place in other relevant bodies. The actual ways to do it were not
consensus, the approach mentioned by Wolfgang (a lot of messages emerged
from workshops) was one of the possibilities on the table, some others were
advanced as well.

*4- Remote participation*

Huge support about it. It was really important to talk about RP in the CSTD
WG environment, since some representatives did not know it in details. RP
was recognized as key element for inclusion, a key innovation from the IGF
that deserved more support and joint efforts to enhancement. Workshops
conducted completely online during the IGF (including from hubs) were
suggestd. Some meetings of the MAG and OC could take place online as well.

*5- How to write the report*

As said before, at the beginning of the meeting, the chair suggested the
creation of a smaller drafting group for the report, that seemed to have
been generally accpeted. Many people spoke for it, no one spoke against it

On the second day a proposal circulated that the drafting group would have
the role to compile the points raised in all consultations and write a first
version of the report, then circulate online for comments. In depth
discussions would take place in the next meeting of the WG. Everybody agreed
and then we discussed the composition during lunch.

The proposal advanced by Brazil was that there should be 1 country per
region (total of 5) plus 1 from the business sector plus 1 from technical
and academic community and 2 from civil society. The reason of the 2 reps
from CS, according to them,  was that CS represented many diferent views
that are difficult to capture. India supported.

This proposal seems to have disagreed very much the business sector, but
instead of discussing and making a conter-proposal they took a step back and
decided to be against the draft group. They argued that we should leave for
the secretariat to come with a report and our role should be to discuss it.
Developed countries (Finland, US, Portugal) and Russia backed the proposal.
I think it is a pitty and a dangerous political move in face of the faults
commited by the secretariat and the chair. In addition, Brazil raised a good
point about the incoherence to preach that multistakeholders can take issues
and do things collaboratively and then leave this important matter in the
hands of the secretariat.

DESA asked  the WG to also portrait the lessons learned. highlight more in
the report things such as the multistakeholder carachteristic and remote
participation

*6 – Next steps* (please someone correct me if I am wrong, it was mentioned
fast):

- The new structure of the questionnaire will be placed online, comments
will be open until March 15

- The Secretariat will compile older contributions, new contributions and
the points raised in this WG meeting and write a draft report

- The report will be sent to WG members. They can offer comments

- The text will be discussed on 24 and 25 March in Geneva.

*7- Submission of the report*

DESA said they had contacted the office in NY and postponed the delivery of
the report to April 1st.  Still tight!

The report should have 17 pages maximum

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio